Future Founders hosted the 6th Annual U.Pitch National Collegiate Elevator Pitch Competition & Showcase – Presented by EY on November 14 at 1871 in Chicago. 18 semifinalists traveled from a dozen different states across the country to pitch their startups in the hopes of winning a piece of the $10,000 prize pool.
“U.Pitch serves as a way for Future Founders to showcase some of the best and brightest young entrepreneurs in the country, and this year’s contestants raised the bar of what’s possible,” said Scott Issen, President & CEO, Future Founders.
Here’s who walked away with seed money for their growing businesses:
1st Place & People’s Choice Award:
Robert Luo, Mi Terro, University of Southern California (CA) – $5,750
Mi Terro turns waste into treasure with its clothing line made from unused milk.
Erica Cole, No Limbits, University of Iowa (IA) – $2,500
No Limbits manufactures 3D printed custom prosthesis covers for amputees.
Alissa Lopez, famlido, Seton Hall University (NY) – $1,250
famlido is a family management app that saves families hours by syncing schedules, automating reminders and tracking tasks.
Caitie Gehlhausen, Socket Lock-It, High Point University (NY) – $250
Socket Lock-It is a cardholder and phone grip combined into one convenient accessory.
Molly D’Agostino, Our Song Co., Syracuse University (NY) – $250
Our Song Co. takes love stories and turns them into customized love songs by leveraging proprietary artificial intelligence technology.
“As a firm believer that entrepreneurs are vital to empowering economic growth and creating positive social change along the way, EY was proud to serve as Presenting Sponsor of U.Pitch 2019,” said Jeff Perry, Global Client Service Partner, EY. “It was my honor to serve as a Judge of the Finals Round and watch an amazing group of young entrepreneurs share their passion and ideas for how they plan to change the world.”
In addition to the amazing young founders that participated in U.Pitch, Future Founders would also like to thank all of the volunteers, attendees, and esteemed judges that helped make U.Pitch 2019 such a success, including:
• Robert Haidari, Partner, Standing Oaks Venture Partners
• Amanda Lannert, CEO, Jellyvision
• Suzanne Muchin, Co-Founder, Bonfire
• Jeff Perry, Global Client Service Partner, EY
• Brad Weisberg, Founder & CEO, Snapsheet
• Nick Arnett, Principal, 1517 Fund
• Kris Boros, Director, Product & Program, Walmart Labs
• Jason Breen, Senior Director – Enterprise Accelerators, Target
• Garry Cooper, CEO, Rheaply
• Seth Corder, Investor, High Alpha
• John Garry, Associate, High Alpha
• Becky Getz, VP Head of Design Operations, Capital One
• Emily Lohse-Busch, Executive Director, Arch Grants
• Julie Maurer, Global Startup Competition Manager, Arch Grants
• Victoria Nones, Founder, Women In Comedy
• Joe Schulte, Partner, EY
• Stuart Sorkin, Independent Investor
• Kathy Steele, Founder & CEO, Red Caffeine
• James Zebrowski, Executive Director, Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization
U.Pitch is one of the opportunities Future Founders offers to support aspiring and existing collegiate entrepreneurs. This work is generously supported by Motorola Solutions Foundation (Founding Organizational Sponsor), Blackstone Charitable Foundation, Capital One, The Coleman Foundation, Google.org, Keywell Foundation, EY, The John E. & Jeanne T. Hughes Foundation, ChicagoNEXT, Jack and Goldie Wolfe Miller Fund, and World Business Chicago.
Ready to get involved?
Join our newsletter for updates